I love working with wood and as I have my own woodland I decided some time ago to mill some of the trees into lumber to use in my DIY projects. But learning how to cut a log lengthwise with a chainsaw was a challenge and I had to do quite a bit of research to find the best method of doing so.
Why would somebody cut a log lengthwise with a chainsaw?
There are two main reasons as to why people would need to cut a log lengthwise with a chainsaw. The two reasons being needing the logs to build a bench, or shed, fence posts, or furniture. These cut logs can also be used for the construction of other buildings.
I found that a chainsaw mill was what I needed to mill log successfully and safely. I also needed a powerful chainsaw with at least a 24 inch guide bar.
At first, I tried to make my own mill using a length wood as a guide but found it difficult to get consistent size lumber.
A chainsaw mill is basically a saw that has the sawmill, and the wood being milled is used for making furniture, or other DIY projects. There are many questions regarding its use and what mill is the best in the market.
In this guide, we will help and educate you on everything to do with chainsaw mills and also how one can use the chainsaw mill to cut logs in a lengthwise manner.
Who would want to cut a log lengthwise with a chainsaw?
Homeowners who would like to be proactive in the construction of their home can cut logs lengthwise for the purpose of building a cabin for example. If you live in a remote area where lumber is not readily available and you have mature trees at your disposal then a chainsaw mill will be a good investment as they are relatively inexpensive.
How to cut a log lengthwise with a chainsaw.
- Choose the best logs with little or no taper if possible.
- The log should be raised from the ground.
- Wear protective gear including a mask as the chainsaw will produce a lot of dust.
- Remember that the logs will be heavy so have help available when moving them into place.
- Measure your log to find the optimum board size and avoid waste.
- Make sure the log is as smooth as possible on top.
- Position the mill and chainsaw in place at the required depth.
- Make the first cut. Subsequent cuts will be easier and will produce better boards.
- Have wedges available to keep the board raised while cutting.
What do you need?
For you to cut a log lengthwise in a neat manner without wasting the wood, you need the right equipment in addition to the chainsaw mill, such as the right chainsaw and some wedges.
What is the best chainsaw mill for cutting lumber?
The safest and easiest method for milling logs is to use a chainsaw mill. Here are a few of the best locust mills available. Obviously if you are you are planning to mill a large amount of logs on a regular basis you will need a more professional system or take the log to a local mill.
Its lifetime warranty also assured the buyer of its long-lasting feature. All its features and performance justify its price.
It has a maximum length of 36 inches and a thickness of 13 inches. It comes hand in hand with a warranty card, and user manual to guide you through the setup and while using it.
•It is quite easy to use
• It is portable as it is light.
• It is durable
• It has a lifetime warranty
• It’s quite stable
• It isn’t ideal for bar lengths that are greater than 36 inches
It can be used any type of woodworker who deals in outdoor activities. It can also be used to cut through walnut, cedar, and oak, which is quite unlikely for other chainsaw mills. It’s quite versatile in the sense that its size of cutting is between 24 to 36 inches.
It has been praised by many for its high performance, which is brought forth by its width of 48 inches. It has a two-year warranty after buying it.
• It has a sleek design
• It is portable
• It is long-lasting
• Has a wide range of cutting sizes which can be adjusted
• One doesn’t need a drilling bar to attach it
• It has a short time as a warranty period.
This chainsaw has been classified by many of its users as a state of the art chainsaw due to the unique features it possesses. It has the best range of cutting and clamping sizes of between 1/2 inches and 13 inches.
The maximum length of the log that it can cut is 17inches. It doesn’t need a drill bar to connect with other chainsaw components, and in its place, it has an attachment assembly.
• Its lightweight nature allows for its portability
• It has been made from premium quality materials
• Its quite easy to use and operate
• It is cheap hence affordable
• It is sturdy
• It is long-lasting
• It can only work efficiently with powerful chainsaws
Can you split a log with a chainsaw?
How do you split a large log with a chainsaw?
- Select the right chainsaw in terms of the size, which can be between 20 to 24 inches. It has to be two inches greater in length than the log being cut.
- Wear the necessary protective equipment needed to protect you from injury.
- Make sure the log is securely held in place.
- Make a one to two-inch minimum incision in the log. You may need to make more incisions depending on the diameter of the log.
- Place a steel wedge in the incision and use a sledgehammer or similar to split the log.
What is the best chainsaw to use with a mill?
When it comes to the best chainsaw for milling I have used the Husqvarna 24 Inch 460 Rancher Gas Chainsaw wins every time. It has the power you need with a 60cc engine and a 24-inch bar. For milling larger logs you may need to get 30 or 36 in bar and chain.
So now you should have a better idea of how to cut a log lengthwise with a chainsaw. Among the three chainsaws mills named above, the best one I have found is the Imony chainsaw mill 36 inch, as it ticks all the boxes and has all features you need in a chainsaw mill.