If you are looking for the best battery-powered chainsaw available today then I hope this guide will help you decide if this type of saw is best for your needs.
Modern cordless mobile electric chain saws have come a long way over the past number of years with the huge advances in battery performance. So much so that these cordless chainsaws now rival gas-powered saws in both power and performance.
Battery-powered chainsaws usually have 36-volt Lithium-ion technology, which enables them to deliver robust and consistent power. They are big performers in a small cordless package, delivering the best of both worlds in terms of power and convenience.
What are the Advantages Of Using A Cordless Chainsaw
A chainsaw is a great tool to have for cutting firewood or storm cleanup. Having a chainsaw with a cord can be challenging, and that is why a cordless chainsaw is the best when you have a cutting job that is not close to home or a power source.
Gas chainsaws are more powerful and versatile but can be overkill for the casual user. There can be difficult to start and you have to deal with the messy business of mixing oil and gas.
Cordless chainsaws have some big advantages over gas saws. With a cordless chainsaw outdoors, tasks become much easier provided you will not be using it for an extended period. However, have a backup battery can extend the runtime.
Top 5 Best Small Battery Powered Chainsaws
Amazon has a great range of the best highly rated and well- priced battery-powered chainsaws.
These are among the five most popular.
This is a great small battery chainsaw that has fade-free power with a 40V Lithium-Ion Battery which is an eco-friendly alternative to similar sized gas chainsaws. It has a 12-inch bar and chain with a tool-less chain tensioning system which is ideal for the casual user.
It comes with the usual features like an automatic oiler and includes a Green Works G-MAX 2.0 AH Lithium-Ion Battery and Charger.
- Well designed and simple to operate
- Simple push button start.
- No oil or gas to mess with
- Excellent value for money
- No smells or C02 emissions
- Translucent oil tank to easily monitor oil level.
- Dog spikes are plastic
- No automatic chain break
This is another powerful cordless saw from a trusted brand. It’s a top quality saw that is ideal for owners of a medium sized yards or small farm. The 40 Volts MAX Lithium-Ion Battery means better runtime and longer life span than many comparable models.
The build quality and overall design of this model with tool free chain tension and automatic chain oiler mean this saw deserves serious consideration if you are looking to get a cordless chainsaw.
- 40 Volts Lithium Ion Battery
- 12 inch bar and chain
- Portable weighs just 8 pounds
- Impressive for the price
- Can leak bar oil
- Battery charge time over 4 hours
This is a Lithium-Ion brushless cordless 16inch chainsaw that provides the power equivalent of a 32 cc gasoline chainsaw which is very good for a cordless saw. It includes a variable speed trigger which helps improve operational performance.
This is a great saw for the home user for cutting small trees, limbing and cutting firewood. It’s simple to start and operate and come with two batteries for longer runtimes.
Safe to use since it has a built-in lock-off lever to prevent the chain from running while idle and a tool-less chain adjustment for convenient operation and maintenance.
- 18Volt brushless motor and 16inch bar
- Variable speed trigger for greater control
- No emissions and low noise
- Simple tool-less chain adjustment.
- The motor shuts down when you stop cutting
- Battery performance could be better
This is a small cordless chainsaw with a 10 inch bar which is ideal for the homeowner who needs to do trimming and storm clean up around the yard from time to time. It features a 20V 1.5Ah battery which delivers all the power you need for a chainsaw of this size.
It has all the features you would expect like a safety brake that can stop the machine instantly.
It has an automatic oiling system that helps lubricate the bar and the chain and a tool-free chain tensioning system. It comes with a two-year guarantee.
- Great for small jobs around the yard
- 20V 1.5Ah battery
- 10 inch bar
- Safety brake system
- 2 Year warranty
- Great for small jobs around the yard
- Low battery life
This is a compact and lightweight saw that is comfortable to use and easy to operate without the smells and messy gas and oil mixing. It has the usual refinements like a tool-free chain tensioner and an automatic oiler with a convenient oil indicator level.
- 20V PowerShare saw which is fast and powerful
- Automatic tool-free chain tension system
- Automatic oiler
- Lightweight just 6.2 pounds
- Battery indicator
- Assembly instructions poor
- Chain can come off
Cordless chainsaw Buying Tips
Before you purchase a cordless chainsaw you should consider the following points to ensure that this type of chainsaw is right for you. It ultimately comes down to what you are going to be using the chainsaw for.
Battery Powered Chainsaws Pros
- Portable – They are light and not limited by cords, therefore, easier to carry around.
- Environmentally friendly – battery-powered chainsaw use clean energy and they do not emit fumes, making it easier to safer to work with.
- They are much quieter compared to their gas chainsaw counterparts.
- Convenient – unlike a gas-powered saw, which needs fueling each time you need to use it, the battery-powered chainsaw just needs charged batteries, and you’re ready to go.
- Faster – They have a high chain speed, and so they cut faster.
- Easy to use – it starts instantly with the push of a button and is comfortable to use.
- Low maintenance- this battery-powered chain saw just needs chargeable batteries, which charges up to 80% in as little as 60 minutes, and your job is done.
- Lightweight at just 6.2 lbs which reduces fatigue.
Battery Powered Chainsaw Cons
- They are less powerful than an electric or gas-powered chain saw and cannot be used for more difficult jobs.
- The battery needs to be charged before use. It’s inconvenient to have a battery die in the middle of a job.
- They are more expensive compared to electric since you have to replace your batteries.